Re: scsh in PLT Scheme?

Patrick Ekman <pat@ekman.cx> writes:

> Quoth MJ Ray on Tuesday, April 02, 2002:
>> "unixodbc" seems to be a pain to build because it has delusions of grandeur.
[...]
> I tried UnixODBC and iODBC.  No luck with either.  I got them to build,
> it was getting them to actually work with Postgres that caused the
> problems.  I don't know what the problem was,

What Unix flavor are you using?  I'm using iODBC + {psqlodbc | myodbc}
together with SrPersist, pretty much out of the box.  This is FreeBSD
CURRENT (a couple of weeks old), with everything installed via ports.

I agree raw-ODBC is hideous, though.  Nevertheless, it's been a while
since I don't use it directly.  The latest version of SchemeQL, which
you can get from schematics.sourceforge.net, has a clear separation
between SQL features, and ODBC details.  SchemeQL does not do
everything you can do through ODBC, though.  Anyway, I'd love to see
your interface, if it's *simple*, maybe SchemeQL could do the same
job, and if it's complex enough, maybe SchemeQL could be extended to
use it as a backend.

Future versions of SchemeQL will support different backends, I already
have a a copy of `spgsql', for instance, but just haven't had time to
sit down and write it.  All in all, I think ODBC is widely supported,
and should not be overlooked.  I kinda like the idea that people, in
the Windows* world, and other worlds, can use SchemeQL together with
their favorite DBMS through ODBC painlessly (even though I haven't
used, nor plan to use Win* for/in a long, long time. ;-)

>> Are you aware of Oleg's DB interface?  I'm growing to like that as a
>> low-level spec.
>
> I was not,

Me neither.  I'll take a look at it, thanks.

--Francisco