Re: scsh in PLT Scheme?

Hello!

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, MJ Ray wrote:

> http://pobox.com/~oleg/ftp/ in general.
>
> http://okmij.org/ftp/Scheme/index.html#databases in particular.

Oleg's DB interface is very portable, and applications based on it
are very easy to debug. From my experience, performance is OK also.
However, some of RDBMS features may be unavailable via CLP
(but the same is true about ODBC also) and it's necessary to pay attention
to handling errors in CLP<->RDBMS connection.

My personal opinion/experience: it's a very fine tool for RDBMS-based Web
solutions, but I'll think twice before recommend it "as is" for heavy-duty OLTP.

It's convenient to use it in conjunction with XML output from RDBMS
(and every modern DBMS provide such a feature),
which simplify output data parsing and allows smooth and easy integration
with XML/SXML data.

BTW, a Chicken version of Oleg's DBI with Oracle and MySQL drivers
may be found at:
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/~tonyg/chicken/
I believe it is easy to port.

Best regards,