RE: scsh in PLT Scheme?

Thank you for the information Kirill.

(BTW, my comment about "...and at least half of the world of server
functionality..." was not about RDBMSs etc, but just Servers running MS OSs,
but Web Servers are similarly about half the market).

You raise a perspective which is interesting. Suppose I move to the world of
POSIX:

* How would I then deal with connecting to RDBMSs? Currently I use
(Microsoft) ADO (COM) to connect with MS SQL Server. I am assuming that the
best I could do is some low level connection to Oracle, or perhaps DB2?

* How would I integrate with Message Queueing? Currently I use COM and MSMQ

* What would I do for a User Interface? Currently I use (in addition to Web
Browsers to which the answer is easy) Visual Basic forms with lots of OCX
(COM) user interface widgets (smart grids with built in drop downs,
toolbars, calendars, ...).

* What would I do to program in the Web Server environment? Currently I use
Active Server Pages. I assume it means using PLT Web Server, or else Apache
and CGI or mod-xxx?

* What would I use for email? Currently I use a COM object.

* What would I use for XSLT? (XML seems well covered in Scheme!). Currently
I use MS XML COM.

* Would Scheme integrate with all of this in a consistent way (as COM does
now and soon .NET will)?

(COM continues and so is not a lost investment. .NET is interesting because
it is the future direction, and a useful advancement, from Microsoft.)

(BTW, Java offers a similar large and consistent set of interoperability.)

Where I am coming from, is that I have been on an almost two year intensive
research following the trail of "there has to be a better way". (I develop
large business applications - Web Commerce, Warehousing and Order
Processing, ... I am driven to delivering good business solutions cost
effectively.)

I have roamed the web and research groups studying other approaches. I have
studied many of the popular and emerging languages (Java, C#, VB.NET,
Scheme, Lisp, Haskell, Clean, Miranda, O'Caml, SML, Erlang). I also have a
long practicing history of older languages (HPL, BASIC, VB, C, C++, Pascal,
SQL Windows, Smalltalk, PHP, Prolog, Lisp, many "expert system" shells and
database languages (Oracle PL/SQL, MS T/SQL, dBase). I have studied
functional programming, generative programming, declarative programming,
aspect oriented programming.

My conclusion? There (unfortunately) is no good solution. There are a number
of adequate compromises. Functional languages seem to offer most from a
language perspective, and amongst those I prefer Scheme (hence my use of PLT
in my work). I also believe, and have practiced extensively, in generative
programming (most of my Scheme work is here).

Alex