Re: Help compiling the Janos VM

> I am working on getting oskit/moab/janosvm/jnodeos working
> on top of Linux.  I am a little stuck, and could use some
> guidance.
>
> The README in the janosvm source tree root says that to
> do this (under Building JanosVM for the Utah NodeOS)
> that two environment variables need to be set.  One of
> these is:
> 	JNODEOS_CLASSSES_ZIP
> which it asserts is usually called jnodeos-moab-debug.jar.
>
> Q1: Why do I need a jnodeos file BEFORE building the janosvm.
> I thought the dependency was the other way around.

The janosvm has a native library which provides some functions for the
java nodeos.  However, in order to compile the library it needs some C
header files which are derived from the java nodeos class files.  So, you
need to build the jnodeos first...

> Q2: Where is this file?  I build moab, but cannot find such
> a file on my system.  I tried building the jnodeos BEFORE
> the janosVM, just in case I had it backward, but still no luck.

You should be able to build it before hand, did it not compile or was
there only a jnodeos-pj-debug.jar?  To build the moab version you need to
do `./build -moab' in the build directory for the jnodeos.

> Thanks ... Pete Lutz

> OSKIT - install source tree then apply patch on Janos Software page.
>   ./configure

> NODEOS (moab) - install source tree
>   ./configure --with-oskit=/usr/local --host=i386-oskitunix
>     --NOTE: /usr/local is where the oskit is installed, by
>     --default.  It is actually installed in /usr/local/bin,
>     --/usr/local/lib, and other sundry directories.

You can install with the oskit in another directory with `--prefix', which
is probably a good thing.  Also, its generally a good idea to create a
separate build directory rather than doing it in the source tree, but it
should work this way.

tim stack