Re: still troubles

> > I believe something like this has been done by the PANDA people if you
> > want to check them out.
> >

> hmmm... Could you give me some directions ??
> I couldn't find anything :(

http://ficus-www.cs.ucla.edu/panda/welcome.html

Otherwise just google for `active nets streaming video'

> I am quite surprised by the fact that the resource consumption is
> predetermined...

Well, theres just no path for setting individual resource reservations
since there is no authentication of the principals requesting more
resources.

> I thought that one of the major points in NodeOs research was to manage the
> resources of the router required by each packet flow...   So not being able
> to control these resources kind of hits me         :)
> Do you think it will come at some point, or is it just not in the FLUX agenda?

Don't confuse resource controls with resource specifications.  The nodeos,
moab, and oskit can control cpu and network, while the janosvm controls
memory consumption.  The resource specifications determine how much of a
resource a flow gets, in ANTS we reserve the same amount of resources for
each flow.  This doesn't mean there is no control, its just that there is
currently no way to give one flow more resources than another.

> So the only way to do resource reservation would be hacking ANTS and doing
> adequate calls to the JnodeOs ??

Not really, everything should work just fine.  For example, if there was a
naughty flow in the system that was sending tons of packets they would use
up their resources, but since your flow had a reservation its packets
would still make it through.  The only thing you can't do at the moment is
say that your flow should have twice as many resources as the other.

> cheers
>
> Andreas

tim stack