Re: still troubles

> > > I am quite surprised by the fact that the resource consumption is
> > > predetermined...
> >
> > Well, theres just no path for setting individual resource reservations
> > since there is no authentication of the principals requesting more
> > resources.
> >

> I haven't looked much in the security issue, but for (my :) experiments it
> would be really cool to be able to change the resource specs of the flows
> dynamically.
> [ Without authenticating the requester :) ]

We can't really do dynamic changes beyond toggling resource controls on
and off, or trashing and rebuilding the objects that reserve the
resources.

> > Don't confuse resource controls with resource specifications.  The nodeos,
> > moab, and oskit can control cpu and network, while the janosvm controls
> > memory consumption.  The resource specifications determine how much of a
> > resource a flow gets, in ANTS we reserve the same amount of resources for
> > each flow.  This doesn't mean there is no control, its just that there is
> > currently no way to give one flow more resources than another.
> >

> So this means that as soon as I have enough flows to use up all my resources,
> then I won't be able to have any new ones ?

Yeah, there are only so many resources to go around, so any other stuff
falls back on best effort (use whats left after everyone else has done
their thing).

> Or do they get preempted at some point ?

hmm, not sure what you mean by this.

> > Not really, everything should work just fine.  For example, if there was a
> > naughty flow in the system that was sending tons of packets they would use
> > up their resources, but since your flow had a reservation its packets
> > would still make it through.  The only thing you can't do at the moment is
> > say that your flow should have twice as many resources as the other.
>
> hmmmm.... that's exactely what I would have liked :/
> Do you think it will be done ?

Well, you can always just use the jnodeos directly.  ANTS might be
overkill for what you want to do and we've actually run jnodeos on a bare
machine quite a bit.

> Is the resource control so "democratic" because if you give evry flow the
> same amount of resources, then you don't really need to authenticate them ??

yep

> thanks a lot, this was pretty enlightening :)

cool, i'm glad

> cheers
>
> Andreas

tim stack