Re: Strong Typing, Dynamic Languages, What to do?

Oscar and everyone else ...

there is no way to make cast-free C++ a safe language w/o changing the
language radically. Here is what I mean:

1. I need a decision algorithm for C++ standard programs

2. I need an algorithm that checks the type checking rules.
   For such things as vector-refs or whatever, the type checker
   may insert run-time checks when feasible and necessary to accomplish 3.

3. At run-time, the evaluation of an expression of type T yields an object
   of type S where S is a sub-type of T. For every base type, you get
   something of that type.

I claim that this trinity doesn't exist for plain C++.

There is probably a mathematical proof. I just dont' care to deliver.

Practically speaking, if it existed, Java would not have had the chance of
a snowflake in hell.

-- Matthias