Re: Strong Typing, Dynamic Languages, What to do?

Matthias Felleisen <matthias@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

[snip]

> In both cases, the static inference must hold at run-time so that when
> something does go wrong, you know that you don't have to check such things
> and can focus on other problems. That's where C and C++'s type system
> totally fail; and, from what I understand about CL, its type system fails,
> too.

This last paragraph confused me. In what sense C++'s type system
fails? The whole point around C++ type system is that it is verified
at compile time in a way that there is no need for run-time checks
and, except for the fundamental types inherited from C (you can
implicitly convert a 'double' floating point type to an int, although
any good compiler will issue a warning for most cases).

--
Oscar