Re: Strong Typing, Dynamic Languages, What to do?

Sorry,

I've been starting out with C++ and the whole language as well as the
glorious STL is one huge syntactic mess. I've seen Scheme-programs
translated into C++ and yes, it seems to work but the resulting code
is so ugly that you could as well hard-code it on a Turing-Machine.
In my opinion that guy Stroustroup had a little too much fun
elaborating on his crooked syntax and rather than keeping it simple
like C he decided to write a sleep-pill of 1024 pages and design a
language that enslaves your mind.

Join the right side,
Sebastian

PS:
One word about types though: Why did C++ come up with 'templates' if
static typing would really be that great? Templates are used in C++ -
coded numeric libraries where speed is of much concern. So maybe it's
the compiler and algorithm that makes your program racing and not the
choice or lack of type-system.

Other factors concerning speed might be:
- Homogenous arrays beat heterogenous ones.
- Doubles beat Reals and Bignums.
- Explicit memory-management beats garbage-collection.
- The human-factor: In C it's almost impossible not to think about
efficiency because that's all you have.

After all I'm glad that Scheme is not a crooked syntactic mess like
C++, not just a portable assembler like C, not a language with walls
all over the place like others might be that I did not yet bother to
try out.

Nevertheless I'd gladly use a cleanly designed (no glitches like the
'=>'-thing and the superfluous 'else' in 'cond'-clauses) type-system
if I can restrict it to single modules. Maybe one could do it like:

(typed-lambda ((double: a int: b)
               (double:))
   (+ a b))

Or even include multiple-value-return: