at the end, we're all on the same side :-) -- Matthias

   Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 20:46:17 GMT
   Acknowledge-to: 	E.Corns@uk.ac.ed
   From: Eddie Corns <E.Corns@ed.ac.uk>
   Sender: owner-plt-scheme@fast.cs.utah.edu

   Something that I'm personally very much interested in at the moment is using
   scheme to build GUI orientated (oriented?) applications.  Both traditional
   form entry such as Tk and gtk+ mostly use and the more advanced features
   available with Tk's canvas and GnomeCanvas (on top of gtk+).  I will also be
   hoping to integrate existing C libraries for such things as SNMP, DNS,...
   And drag'n'drop application building and such like.

   Is this more advanced than what you are suggesting for a cookbook?  Obviously
   it would require a fair amount of explanatory material on the widgets and even
   the object system.  Are there plans for such <emph>explanatory</emph>/tutorial
   material (other then the current reference material)?  Have I missed it?
   Does, in fact, DrScheme offer a rich enough set of widgets for generic apps
   (ie not extensions to DrScheme)?

   In case your wondering, at this stage I think gtk+ is neither adequate nor
   going in the right direction - I'm looking for something better!

   If anyone's interested, the guile people were also talking recently about
   Perl cookbook style notes.  I'm not going to comment on how likely that is
   because I don't know how much manpower thay actually have available.  If I
   were as keen to see guile/scheme in use as RMS claims then I'd be putting
   considerably more manpower into it.  Healthy competition/critiscism is good
   but we're on the same side (against the Perl monster :)

   Eddie