Re: Scheme acceptance [no flames]

Something that I'm personally very much interested in at the moment is using
scheme to build GUI orientated (oriented?) applications.  Both traditional
form entry such as Tk and gtk+ mostly use and the more advanced features
available with Tk's canvas and GnomeCanvas (on top of gtk+).  I will also be
hoping to integrate existing C libraries for such things as SNMP, DNS,...
And drag'n'drop application building and such like.

Is this more advanced than what you are suggesting for a cookbook?  Obviously
it would require a fair amount of explanatory material on the widgets and even
the object system.  Are there plans for such <emph>explanatory</emph>/tutorial
material (other then the current reference material)?  Have I missed it?
Does, in fact, DrScheme offer a rich enough set of widgets for generic apps
(ie not extensions to DrScheme)?

In case your wondering, at this stage I think gtk+ is neither adequate nor
going in the right direction - I'm looking for something better!

If anyone's interested, the guile people were also talking recently about
Perl cookbook style notes.  I'm not going to comment on how likely that is
because I don't know how much manpower thay actually have available.  If I
were as keen to see guile/scheme in use as RMS claims then I'd be putting
considerably more manpower into it.  Healthy competition/critiscism is good
but we're on the same side (against the Perl monster :)

Eddie