3 questions (portable HTTP server, GUI toolkit, HTML generation)

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> 1.  Is there a scheme-only HTTP server for DrScheme?

Yes.  It has been deployed for testing, and will be deployed at Rice
shortly.  It won't make it out on this release, but ought to in
future.  I would be delighted if others would pick it up and make it
more full-featured (right now it's pretty basic ...).  Perhaps someone
who understands the innards of Olin Shivers's Scsh Web server could
port some of its better features over.

>							If so, does it allow
> for a scheme procedure to be registered at a particular URL and to have a
> procedure run when that URL is accessed?

That's effectively what's going to happen.  I just came across some
even cooler stuff that I'm looking into incorporating but, since it's
unpublished research work, I can't really discuss it, nor add it for a
little while.

> 3.  The web pages for DrScheme mention that Rice students are taught how to
> generate many Web pages by writing programs.  Has anyone designed a
> "language" for doing this, with the sort of utility functions that are
> commonly needed (includes, table of contents generation, next and previous
> links, etc) already written?  If so, a link would be greatly appreciated.  I
> seem to recall a web site in Europe somewhere that dealt with LML - Lisp
> markup language; no doubt there is something similar somewhere for Scheme.

I think you mean LAML.  There are lots of such efforts.  We use our
own XML library, which has a few flags to make it more HTML
compatible.  So you can write, for instance,

  `(p ()
      "This is a paragraph that contains "
      (em () "emphasized")
      " text.")

and so on, using (quasi)quote to build up expressions.  Then you ship
this off to a Scheme procedure, and get its XML equivalent.

'shriram