Object Serialization (again)

Some time back on this list someone asked a question about
'easy' object serialization.

I'm curious about the same thing.  I want to store some
set of persistent objects, possibly as data in a database,
possibly as binary data on disk -- it doesn't really
matter.

I don't really want to be so heavy-weight as to require
SrPersist/ODBC and a Full RDBMS for my little application.
Is there a simple way to store the data as a binary
image that can be re-loaded at runtime?

I could just spew the stuff out as XML into a text
file, but I'd like to avoid the time spent reparsing and
initializing the data.

One idea that comes to mind immediately is to create a
special module for the data, and just recompile it to a
*.zo each time the program shuts down...

Anyone else solved this problem before?

-Brent