Re: Strong Typing, Dynamic Languages, What to do?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

As I understand it:

Strongly typed: each datum has a definite type, and this type can't be
ignored arbitrary (e.g. by treating a pointer as an integer).

Statically typed: types for all data are known at compile time.

Dynamically typed: types for all data are known at run time.

Of course, there are gray areas; most strongly-typed languages support some
implicit conversions (int->long, float->double), and in OO languages you
can always treat a subclass as an instance of its superclass(es).  Also,
many languages mix static and dynamic typing; C++ and java support run-time
type identification (dynamic typing) in a mostly-static framework.  Many OO
systems are a way of getting some of the flexibility of dynamic typing in a
static setting.

By these definitions, scheme is strongly typed and dynamically typed.
Ocaml is strongly typed and statically typed.  C is statically typed but
weakly typed.  Forth and assembly are completely untyped.

Shriram, did I get that right?

Mike