RE: bytecode unification for scripting languages

MJ Ray wrote:

> Apologies for my ignorance, but doesn't the patenting of parts of .net
> mean that only Microsoft or people paying Microsoft patent fees will
> ever be able to produce .net implementations?  Doesn't that make it a
> fairly closed line of development?

I'm not sure what patents you're referring to.  I'm sure there are and
will be lots of patents related to .NET, but the spec itself is supposed
to be open and standardized (your views on ECMA may influence how you
read this phrase).  I know Sun has several patents on the JVM; that
doesn't prevent anyone from creating their own JVMs, and indeed several
independent parties have.

Shriram