What is an object?

Dear Gurus,

Is there a way to extract from an instance of a class
*all* its IVARs: names, and related values?

Some kind of association table should exist somewhere.

I might consider looking into the implementation (object.c ??),
but perhaps there is a hidden access to it directly from Scheme?

BTW. - this is a slightly related question, but independent, and
it isn't even a question...

The compiled, binary code of MrEd contains several dozens, perhaps
more than a hundred occurrences of the string "ivar/proc". I wonder
why...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France