Re: Sound

Quoting Jerzy Karczmarczuk:
> Could you please tell me where can I find the documentation
> on play-sound and related issues?

The only documentation is in the MrEd manual. Searching on `play-sound'
in Help Desk finds the page below.

The documentation neglects to mention that the default X play command
is "cat ~s > /dev/audio". I've fixed that omission.

Our support for sound is still not very good. At a minimum, we'd like
there to be one format that works on all platforms. If anyone out there
is an expert on sound and can suggest a strategy for better sound
support, please let us know.

 play-sound

 * (play-sound filename async?) -> boolean
     filename : string
     async? : boolean

 Plays a sound file.

 Under X Windows, the play command must be defined through the user's X
 resources file with the resource name ``mred.playcmd''; this command
 string is formatted with the input filename (so the command string
 should contain a ``~s'' where the filename should be substituted) and
 executed as a shell command.

 Under Windows, only ".wav" files are supported.

 Under MacOS, only standard Macintosh sound files (SND) are supported.