Access Control Problem: Status

	I've done an awful lot of banging my head agai.., er,
debugging the access control problem.  My initial hypothesis, that the
wrong classloader was being used, is disproven..

	My current hypothesis is that the error message:

java.lang.IllegalAccessError: try to access class edu/utah/janos/nodeos/pj_Node from class ants/core/NodeStat
        at ants.core.NodeStat.time(NodeStat.java:63)
        at ants.core.NodeStat.<init>(NodeStat.java:170)
        at ants.core.PrimordialNode.<clinit>(PrimordialNode.java:265)
        at ants.core.ConfigurationManager.run(ConfigurationManager.java:379)
        at edu.utah.janos.nodeos.FlowInitializer.startInitialClass(FlowInitializer.java:107)
        at edu.utah.janos.nodeos.FlowInitializer.run(FlowInitializer.java:71)
        at edu.utah.janos.nodeos.pj_Thread$ThreadWrapper.run(pj_Thread.java:71)

is literally correct.  NodeStat.time() (which didn't appear on the
traceback until I put a debug write in it, perhaps it was optimized
away) calls edu.utah.janos.nodeos.Node (a public class), which in turn
extends edu.utah.janos.nodeos.pj_Node (a package class).  I'm guessing
that the JDK1.2.2 we're using on son.isi.edu (and elsewhere) is
generating an access violation to a public member of
edu.utah.janos.nodeos.Node that it inherited from
edu.utah.janos.nodeos.pj_Node.

	To test this hypothesis, I'd need to edit the pj_Node.class
file ro make it public (don't laugh!  I'm nasty that way!), or edit
and recompile nodeos using an approved compiler (Jikes or JDK-1.3),
... or have you edit and recompile for me.  Of course, this hypothesis
could be wrong, too.

					Craig Milo Rogers