Re: scsh in PLT Scheme?

Paul Steckler:
> I glanced at Oleg's code last night.  It appears to build a list out of
> an entire result set.

Only if you don't tell it when to stop gathering data, I believe.

> SchemeQL fetches data lazily, which is what's needed when dealing with
> large datasets.

Surely what is needed with large datasets is being careful not to grab a
large subset in a single operation by mistake.  If you're doing it
intentionally, you're probably doing something the wrong way (eg, doing
counting in scheme instead of in the database is bad unless you absolutely
have to).

I suspect cases selecting a large subset for transfer to scheme are a
minority of cases.  In those cases, the normal standard database interface
may not be optimal.  Lazy gathering is not possible in some database
interfaces, so its existence should not be relied upon, IMO.
--
MJR