parallel and serial port input/output

Hello,

What is the best way to communicate directly with the serial or parallel ports?  I looked through documentation and found this for creating custom ports.  Is this used for serial and parallel io?
(make-input-port    read-char-proc    char-ready?-proc     close-proc     [peek-char-proc])

Also I found, (system....) which executes a system command.  If possible I would like to communicate directly with com1 and lpt1.  What would you recommend?

The information
Dan