Undergraduate Advising FAQs

Which classes can be taken as Credit/No Credit?
Major required classes must be taken for a letter grade and will not count if they are taken as CR/NC. Major required classes are all classes listed on the degree requirement sheets, except American Institutions and the Intellectual exploration (FF*, HF, BF) courses. *Please note that for the CS with EAE emphasis, Art 1020 and DES 2615 cannon be taken as CR/NC since they are required by the major. For more CR/NC information, see this page.

When can I apply for full major status (FMS)?
Students seeking FMS in CS or DS apply at the end of the semester that they complete CS 2420 and Calculus II. Students in CS 2420 will receive an email (to their Umail) during the last 2 weeks of the semester with a link to the application. Transfer students or those not in CS 2420 during the semester they wish to apply should contact ugrad-help@cs.utah.edu

I want to make an appointment with an advisor, but the scheduler is not showing any available dates?
During busy times for advising appointments fill up fast! The scheduler can make appointments up to 2 weeks in advance, but if all appointments are taken then it may look like none are available. In this case you can either wait until the following day when another day of appointments will open up, or you can see if another advisor has appointments available. You can also email ugrad-help@cs.utah.edu for answers to quick questions.

Are there any scholarships available through the School of Computing?
Yes! Scholarships for both the School of Computing and the College of Engineering open at the beginning of December each year and close February 1st. Scholarships are awarded for the Fall and Spring semesters of the following academic year. For more information, and to apply for scholarships during the open window, see this page.

Why do I have to make a Mandatory Advising (MAP) appointment?
The university wants to make sure that all students are getting the help they need, and that nobody is mistakenly taking classes they think will apply toward their degrees but actually won’t. Notifications are sent out months before the deadline, so be sure to make an appointment early! If everyone waits until registration starts, there will be a huge bottleneck of students trying to make appointments and you may not be able to register when your dates open up.

Are there any CS or DS classes available during the summer?

What classes should I take during summer?
Since there aren’t CS classes during the summer, you could work on general education courses, math/science electives, or (if you’re in the Games/EAE emphasis) EAE classes. A lot of students take math or physics during the summer so they don’t have to take those classes alongside time consuming CS classes. We don’t recommend taking all your general education classes during the summer, because it helps to have at least one less rigorous class each semester through graduation.