School of Computing (SoC) Policies and Guidelines


PDF version

The following guidelines and policies represent important information that students taking courses in, or seeking degrees from, the School of Computing, must be aware of. It is important that you read, understand, and adhere to this information. Students are responsible for the information below.

Repeat Policy

Students are only allowed to repeat courses one time, including withdrawals. Students who have already attempted a course twice may submit a written request to the School of Computing asking for a third attempt.

Students who are found to be enrolled in a course for a third attempt without approval may be removed after the start of classes or may find the course not considered toward degree status.

See the School of Computing Repeat Policy for further details.

Laptop Policy

Laptops are required for use in CS course labs, and recommended for all course work. While most stu-dents are already bringing laptops to the Universi-ty, if you have a financial exigency, you may contact the School of Computing to ask for aid.

Please see the School of Computing Laptop Policy for further details.

Computer Science Degree Probation Status

Student’s pursuing a undergraduate degree in Computer Science must maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA (both overall and in CS courses numbered 2000 and above). Failure to do so will result in the student being placed on probation.

See the School of Computing Probation Policy.

The School of Computing Web Hub

A great deal of information, as well as communication channels for computer science students can be found at the School of Computing canvas page. This includes topics of interest including: Course Information, Information for Potential CS Majors, Internship and Job posts, Clubs announcements, Research Op-portunities, fun activities, etc.

All interested students should (and all CS Majors must) sign up for access.

Addressing Sexual Misconduct

Title IX makes it clear that violence and harassment based on sex and gender (which Includes sexual orientation and gender identity/expression) is a civil rights offense subject to the same kinds of accountability and the same kinds of support applied to offenses against other protected categories such as race, national origin, color, religion, age, status as a person with a disability, veteran’s status or genetic in-formation. If you or someone you know has been harassed or assaulted, you are encouraged to come speak to the School of Computing Advisors and/or to the Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 135 Park Building, 801-581-8365, or the Office of the Dean of Students, 270 Union Building, 801-581-7066. For support and confidential consultation, contact the Center for Student Wellness, 426 SSB, 801-581-7776. To report to the police, contact the Department of Public Safety, 801-585-2677(COPS). More information is available at

Teaching Assistant (TA) Positions

The School of Computing regularly recruits top undergraduate students to become TAs for courses. If you do well in a course, would like to help other students and give back to the School, and would like to be paid, please consider applying to be a TA.

Co-Rec Drop Policy

Students who are taking two courses, one of which is a co-requisite for the other, should be aware that University Policy states: if they drop the co-requisite course, they will also have to drop the other course. For example, if a student in Calc I and CS 1410 (dependent course), decides to drop Calc I, they will have to drop CS 1410 as well.

The School of Computing recognizes that in some cases, a student in such a situation may be successful in the dependent course. If a student believes this to be the case, then the student should contact the course instructor. Should the instructor support the case to stay in the class, the student should ask the instructor to contact the School of Computing and ask for an official memo to this effect. The student can pick up the memo in the SoC front office.

Finally, students should be aware that, in cases like the above situation, the student would still have to complete Calc I and then Calc II before applying for full major status.

Academic Misconduct Policy

Students in CS courses are bound by the School of Computing Academic Misconduct Policy. Any student who receives two failing grade sanctions in CS courses due to academic misconduct will be subsequently barred from registering for any additional CS courses and will be immediately dropped from their respective degree program. Note that a failing grade sanction still applies even for students who withdraw from the course after the sanction is imposed. Any failing sanction due to academic misconduct can be appealed. If the appeal is successful then the failing sanction will be lifted.

As defined in the University Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities, academic misconduct includes, but is not limited to, cheating, misrepresenting ones work, inappropriately collaborating, plagiarism, and fabrication or falsification of information. It also includes facilitating academic misconduct by intentionally helping or attempting to help another student to commit an act of academic misconduct. A primary example of academic misconduct would be submitting as ones own, work that is copied from an outside source.

Plagiarism Software Policy

Courses in the School of Computing will often use plagiarism detection software. Be advised that all work should be your own.

Application to the Major

Students who have completed all of their pre-major courses, including CS 1410, CS 2420, Calc I, and Calc II can apply for Full Major Status (FMS) at the end of Fall or Spring Semester.

Appeals/Concerns Procedure

If you find something is not going as expected in your course, you should first contact the course instructor to see if changes can be made immediately. If you are unable to resolve the problem directly with the instructor (or you feel unsafe doing so) you should schedule a meeting with the Director of Undergraduate Studies for the School of Computing: Professor H. James de St. Germain.

Should you wish to appeal Prof. de St. Germain’s decision, you should contact the Director of the School of Computing: Professor Ross Whitaker. (Further appeals can be made to the Dean of Engineering or the Vice President of Academic Affairs.)

Preferred Name and Pronoun

Class rosters are provided to the instructor with the student’s legal name as well as “Preferred first name” (if previously entered by you in the Student Profile section of your CIS account). While CIS refers to this as merely a preference, we will honor you by referring to you with the name and pronoun that feels best for you in class, on papers, exams, group projects, etc. Please advise us of any name or pronoun changes (and update CIS) so we can help create a learning environment in which you, your name, and your pronoun will be respected. If you need assistance getting your preferred name on your UIDcard, please visit the LGBT Resource Center Room 409 in the Olpin Union Building, or email to schedule a time to drop by. The LGBT Resource Center hours are M-F 8am-5pm, and 8am-6pm on Tuesdays.

College and School Scholarships

All students in the College are encouraged to apply for scholarships. Applications can be submitted starting on Nov 1st and are due by February the 1st. Applications, deadlines, and information can be found on the College of Engineering Scholarship page.

University Counseling Services

The process of earning any university degree can be stressful and with the added burden of the rigorous workload and high GPA requirements of a CS degree, along with other issues many students face (e.g., commuting, working, family, etc.), it is often the case that students will need additional counseling and support.
The University of Utah Counseling Center (UCC) offers brief individual, couples and group counseling, psychiatric medication services and psychological assessment for eligible UU students. Any student who is experiencing adverse stress levels should feel free to contact their course instructors, the School of Computing advisors and staff, or contact the UCC directly. For more information, please call 801-581-6826 or refer to:

Degree Modification Request Procedure

Degree modification link