Re: [plt-scheme] The same macro problem

At Fri, 24 May 2002 09:37:45 -0500, Bill Wood wrote:
>   . . .
> > But the real reason behind the new macro system is the latter
> > interpretation of "safe". DrScheme v103 _doesn't work_ with macro
> > definitions. Many hacks make it appear to do the right thing, but there
> > are lots of cases where DrScheme v103 behaves strangely. Even the
> > implementors can't always predict what will happen.
>
> This is very interesting.  I'm fairly comfortable with  CL defmacro,
> though
> I'm no macrologist.  I had intended to start experimenting with macros
> in
> PLT.  Is this strange behavior apparent in MzScheme as well?

Not really.

It only shows up when there's a difference in time between compilation
(or, more generally, macro expansion) and execution. MzScheme doesn't
normally compile any top-level expression without immediately executing
it.

The problem does show up with mzc. A common problem was that some
program (which works perfectly well in Mzscheme) wouldn't go through
mzc.

In DrScheme, the problem most often showed up through Check Syntax or
Analyze.

Matthew