Re: reading htdp solutions

PLT Scheme has everything you want:

 - database connectivity: SrPersist and SchemeQL
 - cross-platform GUI: MrEd
 - web page generation: Scheme webserver/CGI/FastCGI
 - native code compilation: mzc (via C)

The above libraries either come with the PLT download
or are available from

  http://www.cs.utah.edu/plt/develop/

and

  http://schematics.sf.net/ (SchemeQL)

Make sure you get the latest alpha (but v. stable)
version of PLT Scheme from

  http://download.plt-scheme.org/

There is lots of tutorial material linked from
schemers.org

> BTW: What do you readers think of my requirements.
> Is Scheme the best
> choice (especially compared to Python)?

Well, Python doesn't have a native code compiler so I
don't see how it meets your requirements.

cya,
Noel