Re: Conway's Game of Life (cellular automata)

As Shriram pointed out ..

But more to the point, here is a story I learned from Keith Cooper who
took over the intro course from Kathi Fisler who took over from me.

Keith starts his course with this scenario:

 "Everyone please stand up."

 "If you have not written a program of more than 10 lines,
  please have a seat."
about 30% sit down

 "If you have not written a program of more than 100 lines,
  please have a seat."
a few more sit down

 "If you have not written a program of more than 1,000 lines,
  please have a seat."
99% sit down.

 "If you have not written a program of more than 10,000 lines,
  please have a seat."
everyone's sitting by now.

 "If you have not written a program of more than 100,000 lines,
  please have a seat."
everyone's sitting by now.

 "I have written a program that requires 500,000 lines of C code.
  I have chosen to teach this first course with Scheme because it
  will teach you something good. Are there any questions?"

I bet that many of you out there can adapt this game to your setting.

-- Matthias

P.S. Cooper conducts compiler research and is involved with the GNU C
project now, funded by some large agency.