Re: (problem? 'guile)

   much tosh being spoken about Free Software on this list.  Why is it
   so hostile?  If you don't like guile, then you don't like guile,
   but that's no reason to trash the rest of the GNU project's work.

Mark, I can't speak for Shriram (who actually knows a lot about guile
and Scheme & language design), but I say:

Free Software is great.   The PLT Scheme suite is Free Software too.
That's not the issue.

The GNU project was an effort to build a Free version of Unix.  Unix
seems to be the best OS, but it's not that great, and you don't need
sky-high design standards to build a Unix.  So the GNU project has
never had high design standards.

Guile is no worse than Emacs Lisp, and folks here like Emacs fine.
The line seems to be: Emacs is a fine editor, even though Emacs Lisp
is a dog, but that's OK for a text editor.

I extrapolate: you don't need high design standards in GNU.  But the
PLT folks are very serious about high design standards in their Scheme
work.  That can creates tension, no?