Re: (problem? 'guile)

"Shriram Krishnamurthi" <sk@cs.brown.edu> writes:

> Hi Manuel,
>
> Sorry for the delay replying -- your message came while I was on the
> road.

It's OK and thank you for this good reply, but ...

> It went further, however, to mirror the C library *exactly*.  In
> particular, where the C library consumed pointers, Guile passed it the
> pointers it wanted.  In the process, it introduced variable aliasing.
> This, also, should not be particularly surprising -- C is notorious
> for the presence of variable alasing.  Scheme, on the other hand, *has
> none*.  The presence of aliasing introduces umpteen problems for any
> kinds of tools -- anything from value flow inference to type inference
> to compiler optimization to ...

... I think I *do* need some pointers on this (variable aliasing,
implications on compiler's tools, etc.) to fully understand your
argument.

--
The Dude: And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man.
Walter Sobchak: You mean... beyond pacifism?

_Manuel Giraud_