mzscheme daemon?

I wanted to run an mzscheme program as a daemon on Linux, so I crossed my
fingers and added a call to "daemon(1,0)" just before the call to
scheme_image_main() in mzscheme's main.c (in v103).

This worked fine, and my mzscheme daemon is now running happily.  I
wondered, though, whether there was some other solution that doesn't require
patching mzscheme.  How is the PLT web server at www.plt-scheme.org set up,
for example?

I realize that a cross-platform daemon/service solution is more complex
(especially on Windows, beentheredonethat), but I wondered if perhaps I was
missing some magical and obvious way to do this - due perhaps to my having
an insufficiently developed "Unix nature".  (If it's due to an insufficient
lambda nature, I have my trusty seppuku sword standing by...)

Anton