RE: 199d6 feature creep...

Noel wrote:

> I share some of Greg's reservations.  Would it be
> possible to save the configuration in comments,

Hmm... Perhaps the solution is to distinguise between project data, i.e. the
Scheme code,
and meta data, i.e. how it should be displayed.

I've noticed that DrScheme maintains two files for your "project". One is
the current code
itself, the other is the previous version in a backup. My thought is that
the backup file, could
be used as a true "project file" and the main file be left pristine.

When you open a file in DrScheme, the first thing it would do is look for a
meta file with the same first name (different extension) in the same
directory.
If none is found, then create a new default one and proceed.
If it is found, then interpret it, applying the meta data to what is
displayed in
the edit pane.

The meta file would contain such information as:
1. Backup information, i.e. how to do a revert.
2. Viewing data, e.g. which expressions should be collapsed.
3. Other stuff, such as which language level was in
use when the file was last saved, what font was used, whether the
window was split... it could go on and on, this is why it
is called "feature creep". :-)