Re: uinterned symbols perhaps?

Correct. The symbols are not interned (i.e. remain unknown to the run-time
system), but they have a "print name". When you type in the printname as a
symbol, Scheme creates and interns the symbol, so that the "gensym'ed"
symbol is not eq to the interned one.

What I don't understand is this. If you gensym method names, you can't
possibly know them after the macro is elaborated. So even if they are
public methods, you can't call them -- because you don't know their
names. So, it seems to me that you need to create names that are
"derivatives" of the existing names so that you can call them from the
outside.

-- Matthias