Re: DrScheme as Emacs-like kitchen sink

   If you would like to edit other things, the easiest thing (to get
   started) is to  evaluate this program:

      (define f (make-object frame% "my editor window" #f 600 800))
      (define t (make-object text%))
      (define ec (make-object editor-canvas% f t))
      (send t load-file "my-file.tex")
      (send f show #t)

Thanks,  Robby, but it's no good, because the word-wrapping is off.
When I type, I just keep going &  going, and the screen moves off to
the left behind me.

   That will open up a new frame that doesn't have any of the
   Scheme-specific editing commands in it. Of course, it doesn't have
   any menus for saving or anything else either, but you can either
   add them (read about menu-item%, menu%, and menu-bar% in the mred
   manual)

Oh, you're right!  I can live without the menus easy, but I can't
save a file with M-s.  Furthermore I get an error message in my xterm
window:

(birkhoff)richter> Couldn't open the file.

But these are good  pointers, and

   or just send messages to `t' directly from the REPL when you want
   to save.

this sounds like the sort of thing I need to learn about.

   If you develop some kind of system for editing LaTeX files that gets
   pretty big,

Oh no, I don't mean to develop a big system at all!  My point is that
the word-wrapping feature of DrScheme, not really available in Emacs,
is itself a great `system for editing LaTeX files'.  The only part of
Emacs's tex-mode.el that I use is the filling stuff, how M-q works, so
it won't clobber your latex environments.  But with your
word-wrapping, I don't think anyone needs that stuff.  Just hit
returns when you want to protect a latex environments.  DrScheme
doesn't need to know what I think a latex environment is!

   I suggest that you read about the tools interface in DrScheme. That
   should let you wire your code directly into DrScheme without having
   to run a program before editing LaTeX.

I'm meaning to learn about the tools interface, but I'm confused about
`wire' and `run a program'.  You probably don't need to explain, it'll
probably explain itself as I read about tools.