Optional arguments, assertions, type annotations

Hello,

May I ask which approach you favour with respect to optional arguments,
assertions (pre-conditions, post-conditions), or type annotations (for
security reasons also)? As far as I know there is no standard solution
for these issues, which is why different distributions have chosen
different roads. As I recently implemented my own rather simple
package, which definitly isn't the answer to the ultimate question, I
would be interested which solution you prefer. Or is there some reason
for why this hasn't been standardized yet?

Cheers,
Thomas.