Bugs & Such Redux

*** This is a re-post, because there was no response to the first post. In
particular, I can't current compile v199 under Visual C++; does anybody
have any ideas? ***

The following line hangs MzScheme 103:

        (string->symbol (string (integer->char 255)))

The problem is specifically a result of the "255" value.

(It's a stripped down version of a line taken from Oleg Kiselyov's SSAX
module. Because of this problem the module doesn't load.)

On an unrelated note, there's a documentation bug in the mzc manual. In
section 1.5, "Native Code Optimization," there are two "odd/even" examples,
one with letrec and one with letrec inside a unit. In both examples, the
"even" lambda is missing the "#t" in the following lines:

        [even (lambda (x)
                (if (zero? x)
                        #t
                        (odd (sub1 x))))]

The recently-modified page at http://www.cs.utah.edu/plt/anoncvs/ that
describes how to grab source from cvs is missing the "@" between the user
name and the server name: anonymous@anoncvs.plt-scheme.org.

Finally, when I tried to compile the exp branch (with the newly broken-out
dlls) I get a warning from Visual C++ that the dsp files are not valid; VC
offers to wrap the dsp files, but the wrapped files don't work. I don't
have this problem with 103, and I didn't used to have this problem with the
exp branch; something changed--or now I'm doing something wrong.