Re: Compling under Mac OS X

At 11:55 AM -0400 8/22/01, app13man@mac.com wrote:
>Hello,
>	I am a student at Ga Tech,  and I was wondering if there was
>any way to compile Dr. Scheme for OS X.  Since OS X is essentially
>BSD, I just just following the instruction provided, but
>unfortunately it didn't work.  This is the error that I got after
>configuring and running the make file.  I'm not that Unix savvy, but
>I know the basic commands.

There are two answers to your question:

1) MzScheme compiles and runs fine under OS X.  The sources for this
can be had by Anonymous CVS, though when you deal with our Anonymous
CVS'ed code, you don't get the regular guarantees of support and/or
success.

2) DrScheme is a whole different can of worms.  It sounds like you're
trying to compile the UNIX/X sources on the mac.  This won't work at
all.  These sources all rely upon the X Windows libraries, which are
not a part of OS X. In fact, OS X uses a graphical subsystem that is
utterly unrelated to X windows.  (The appearance of the letter 'X' in
both 'X Windows' and 'OS X' is not helping here at all.)  The short
answer is that I'm working on this, and it should be done in a month
or two.

john