A Conclusion Re: SchemeQL

Thanks to everyone who has emailed helpful information on this point,
especially those of you who gave me code to try and copies of your
configuration.  I found the problem.

For whatever reason, unixODBC sees "localhost" and thinks "aha! I'll
use Unix domain sockets!" which, for reasons I don't understand,
result in the connection being refused.  Changing it to another
loopback hostname and making the necessary changes to pg_hba.conf
means that I now have a working isql and, consequently, a working
schemeql.

Guess I'll have to look at either using a scheme web server or storing
data elsewhere.  Any advice?