Re: 199.15

At 8:21 PM -0600 6/18/01, Matthew Flatt wrote:
>  * Added `error-print-source-location', which controls whether error
>    messages include source information (e.g., line and column, actual
>    expression). Turning off source info in the message text provides
>    less cluttered error messages for tools, like DrScheme, that
>    inspect the exception record anyway.

When I asked for this parameter, the intention was that DrScheme
could avoid printing the source text for error messages that it can
display the source location via highlighting, since those error
messages have source location that are actual edit% objects. They
look like this:

   Welcome to DrScheme, version 199.14d105.
   Language: Beginning Student custom.
   > '(a b)
   quote: expected a name after a ', found something else in
#<struct:object:derived-from-rep-text%>:80: (quote (a b))

which is not very helpful.

The parameter, as provided, does give me enough flexibility to do
that. Right now, the parameter is just a boolean that controls error
formatting. I would like a parameter something like this:

   error-print-source-location : (parameter (exn -> boolean))

that could enable drs to decide, based on the source location of the
error, if it should be included in the error message.

Of course, I could just turn it off completely for all language
levels and have some kind of clickback to show the source locations
for errors in other files, but I'd prefer to have the extra
flexibility.

Robby