Re: TeXinfo documentation for PLT Scheme

Robert Bruce Findler <robby@cs.rice.edu> writes:
>Quoting Riku Saikkonen:
>> A more practical matter: I've thought of converting the documentation
>> to TeXinfo format (to make browsing it more convenient in Emacs -
>Do you find that Help Desk is missing some important feature to make it
>much worse than Emacs's info system?

Well, it doesn't work inside Emacs, so I almost never use it. :)
Otherwise, probably not...

I use Emacs for almost all of my editing (text, e-mail, LaTeX,
programming languages, ...), and don't want to use another editor for
Scheme code. One reason is that I often work through a slowish ssh
connection, where I don't want to forward X11 connections, but the
main reason is just that I'm used to Emacs and its many features
(ranging from transposing characters (C-t) to spell-checking and
dynamic completion (M-Tab, M-/ and the more complete hippie-expand,
which even completes Lisp-style lists), and that I don't need to use
the mouse for anything)...

I could perhaps keep a Help Desk window open next to my Emacs, but
that's not really very convenient. (I do sometimes use a text-mode Web
browser that displays the MzScheme language manual's index, but it's
not as convenient as C-h TAB.)

>You can currently right click on a word in DrScheme to search for it in
>Help Desk, just like typing "C-h TAB" in Emacs (as I understand it. I
>don't use Emacs much these days).

Yup. I noticed the "keywords" file in the HTML documentation, which
you presumably use for that. I could perhaps write an Emacs package
that uses it, starting Emacs's Web browser (Emacs-W3) to display the
correct part of the HTML documentation. But I think it'd be cleaner
and more consistent (especially in the user interface) to create an
Info version of the documentation, so I'd like to try that first.

--
-=- Rjs -=- rjs@lloke.dna.fi