Re: newline in string literal?

On May 16, Riku Saikkonen wrote:
> Perhaps. Though, the parameter could have an intelligent
> platform-specific default - even if it isn't always correct, it
> could guess right in most cases.

I would guess that finding a platform specific default is a nightmare
-- you have Unix, DOS boxes, telnets, and don't forget the GUI which
would change this defaults which is platform _and_ configuration
dependent...

> For example, Emacs on Unix seems to get away with expecting a locale
> ending in "8859-1" to enable display of 8-bit characters on a
> terminal by default...

Emacs is a good example -- it took *years* to get things right, and
it's not done yet.  (But they went for Unicode which is a bigger
pain).

> By the way, if you end up writing (or finding) something fancy that
> does a good job of finding out what characters are currently
> printable, it might be useful to provide it also as a Scheme
> procedure - char-printable? or something.

I guess, but I probably won't do that stuff since I know just about
nothing...  Having Hebrew as your native language has the advantage of
making you abandon all hope to use it reasonably...

> Yes, basically. Just remember to document the change (in the release
> notes or something). :)

I'm sure it'll get documented (BTW, I'm not in the PLT team).

> (By the way, your mail user agent seems to have problems with MIME:
> Your e-mail had quoted-printable-encoded characters in the body, but
> no Content-Transfer-Encoding header.)

Heh...  My email is VM under FSF Emacs.  It is one of the better
emailers, and as you can see - it still has problems due to this whole
charset mess...