Re: newline in string literal?

Eli Barzilay <eli@barzilay.org> writes:
>Well, Matthew did say that a parameter can be added for such cases...
>I guess that it wouldn't take much to make it possible for a parameter
>that specifies a range of characters you do want to see literally or
>something similar -- my guess is that any "real" solution that uses
>locale settings or something similar is going to be a nightmare to get
>working in all platforms...

Perhaps. Though, the parameter could have an intelligent
platform-specific default - even if it isn't always correct, it could
guess right in most cases. For example, Emacs on Unix seems to get
away with expecting a locale ending in "8859-1" to enable display of
8-bit characters on a terminal by default (see the node "Language
Environments" in the Emacs documentation, if you're interested). This
might be enough for MzScheme on a Unix terminal; for other platforms
(including X11), perhaps DrScheme knows the charset of the font it
uses...

I don't know enough about DrScheme to be sure, but maybe there is some
internationalisation support in it already? For example, what does the
HTML parser in the HelpDesk do when the native character set isn't
Latin-1 (as specified in HTML)? Hopefully this would help in searching
for printable characters...

By the way, if you end up writing (or finding) something fancy that
does a good job of finding out what characters are currently
printable, it might be useful to provide it also as a Scheme procedure
- char-printable? or something.

>> older versions of MzScheme can't read strings written by the new
>> version. (But it should work the other way around, so this might not
>> be a problem - though it would be good to say this in the
>> documentation.)
>Isn't that the natural way things go?

Yes, basically. Just remember to document the change (in the release
notes or something). :)

(By the way, your mail user agent seems to have problems with MIME:
Your e-mail had quoted-printable-encoded characters in the body, but
no Content-Transfer-Encoding header.)

--
-=- Rjs -=- rjs@lloke.dna.fi