Re: Segmentation fault on startup for v200 on FreeBSD

Lo, on Saturday, April 28, Greg Pettyjohn did write:

<SNIP>

> 1. (Forgive me, I'm new to Unix.) What should I do when something
>    crashes? For example, when I get a crash on Windows, msdev starts up
>    and if it can find the source code, it shows me the line that caused
>    the crash. Here I just have this message "Segmentation fault (core
>    dumped)"

You should find a file named `core' in the directory in which you ran the
program.  If you've got gdb installed, then in general you can run
    gdb <executable> core
to do a post-mortem analysis on the process (assuming that gdb can find the
source code and that the binary was compiled with debugging information).

This isn't going to be so easy with help-desk, however, because (at least
as of v103) help-desk is actually a shell script.  GDB tends not to
understand those particularly well.  You should be able to read through the
shell script and figure out which binary is loaded; for my build of 103,
it's ${PLTHOME}/.bin/i386-linux/mred.  In theory, you could fire up gdb on
this executable and the core file, although I've not actually tried this.

And, of course, most other debuggers will provide the same basic
functionality, although the exact details may be somewhat different.

HTH,

Richard