Re: MzScheme and SML

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> If you care about speed, compare SML with Chez Scheme.

And, if he is realy really really interested about speed, he probably
should also read:

  "The effectiveness of type-based unboxing"
  by Xavier Leroy, Workshop "Types in Compilation",
  Amsterdam, June 1997

Abstract:

 "We compare the efficiency of type-based unboxing strategies with that of
simpler, untyped unboxing optimizations, building on our practical
experience with the Gallium and Objective Caml compilers. We find the
untyped optimizations to perform as well on the best case and
significantly better in the worst case."

(The paper will say nothing new to experienced lispers, but is good for
beginners).

P.