Re: programming languages as a core topic

I am a member of one of the KFGs for CC-2001.  I agree that it is too late
in the process to start changing the overall number of core hours, or the
topics that we want to be included. However, I believe that it is still
possible for the PL people to get a fairer shake in this process.  Let me
explain.

In addition to the PL KFG, there is also a Programming Fundamentals (PF)
KFG which has a whopping 65 core hours (vs. 5 for PL):

	http://www.computer.org/education/cc2001/report/PF.html

There are some items in the PF section that can easily be classified as
"programming language" material, such as all of PF2 (which is 10 core
hours by itself) and a lot of PF3 (12 core hours).

It seems perfectly reasonable, if fact sensible, to reshuffle these two a
little bit... Seems those two KFG chairs need to go out and talk it over a
few beers.

Dina

Assistant Professor				URL : www.cs.umb.edu/~dqg
Math & Computer Science Department		Tel : 617-287-6483
University of Massachusetts / Boston		Fax : 617-287-6499
100 Morrissey Blvd., Boston, MA 02125		Room: S-3-92A