Databases &/or binary data

Dave,

Good to hear you're finding the system copacetic.

I don't think the ODBC interface is the right solution for this
application, irrespective of demands on users; it doesn't feel like it
has the right granularity.  Rather, I suspect your best bet would be
to dig in a little and use the C interface.

I expect you can find numerous implementations of B+ trees in
languages like C and C++.  With luck, you can probably integrate them
with relatively little effort (compared to the alternatives, and given
that we don't have, say, an integrated persistent heap).  Once you've
done that, you would have the library's interfaces available in
Scheme, and the rest of the system can be written entirely in Scheme.

Shriram