Databases &/or binary data

Forgive this very simple set of questions, but I'm just getting started
with Scheme & PLTScheme.

I'm wanting to write an application, similar in nature, I suppose, to
SimCity, but dealing with railroads.  (Like Railroad Tycoon, but not a
game.)  I've been playing with (and really enjoy, actually) the GUI classes
in MrEd, and have a pretty good handle on how to deal with writing my own
objects (using mzscheme objects).

But at runtime, rather than be limited to available memory, I'd like to
persist various objects to a random-access store, and it's not a clear to
me how I'd do that in MrEd.

1) Looking at the PLT Scheme Libraries & Extensions page, I see that I can
get ODBC connectivity, but I'd rather not require application users to
install and maintain a separate database process.

2) I'm not averse to writing my own simple b+tree implementation, but I'm
still a bit fuzzy on how that'd work given Scheme's I/O routines.

3) I found write-image-to-file & read-image-from-file, which look like
simple ways to save program state, but don't do much for keeping other
things on disk during program execution.

4) I've seen discussion on this list regarding C/C++ code being mixed with
MrEd, although I'd rather stick with pure Scheme, (unless that winds up not
being practical for this type of usage).

What are typical ways for solving this type of problem in Scheme and/or
MrEd?  Thanks very much in advance for your assistance.

Regards,
Dave