Re: peasant revolt against DrScheme!

>>>>> "Shriram" == Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk@cs.brown.edu> writes:

Shriram> Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor] wrote:

>> The real problem is that the design of Java/C++-style OOP is
>> demonstrably arbitrary.

Shriram> Especially single-dispatch.  In contrast, multiple-dispatch looks to
Shriram> me more like the natural analog of functional programming.  How would
Shriram> you react to that contention?

Weeeeelll --- multiple dispatch definitely eliminates the silly
this/self problem.  On the other hand, that's really only a side
effect.  Shrinking that back to single dispatch (as RScheme does)
results in an object system which also solves the problem.

I do agree, however, that multiple dispatch is nice and intuitive,
and within the context of the RScheme object system, it again would
look very natural to have it.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike