Running external programs asynchronously with no need to handle output?

Greeetings,

How can I run external programs so that /dev/null (or something
equivalent on Windows etc. -- this applies to further references to
/dev/null too) is used as their standard input and either their
output goes to /dev/null or to the standard output of the MzScheme
process?  I.e. something like process*/ports but I don't want to
construct /dev/null file-stream port for input myself and I don't
want input ports created for process' stdout and stderr because, at
least I assume so since the documentation doesn't specify this, I'd
have to read them in order to keep the pipe from growing up too
much or possibly becoming full in which case writes of the process
would block.  Also, I recall (I tried this in another situation) I
can't pass (current-output-port) as the port to be used for
process' standard output because it's not a file-stream port.

--
Hannu