Re: peasant revolt against DrScheme!

   From: "Will Fitzgerald" <fitzgerald@inetmi.com>
   Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:19:00 -0500
   Sender: owner-plt-scheme@fast.cs.utah.edu

   Has anyone taught a course where BOTH Scheme and C (or C++) is taught?

   Will Fitzgerald

We did this for a brief time in the mid/early 90s. To be precise, we were
required to teach Scheme and Mathlab/Fortran. Then we chose to teach for
a year or two, Scheme plus C/C++. The ratio was about 8:1. Then I chose to
teach a few Java lectures. Over time the second language has disappeared.

;; ---

We had two teachers in our TeachScheme! program who taugt C++ and Scheme to
the same group of kids during the same semester. Some kids got more Scheme,
some got more C++ instruction. For one of the teachers, we (with our
evaluator) could "interview" (via Web) the 60+ students. The result was
amazing. Two facts stood out:

 1. The more C++ they had seen, the more they preferred Scheme.

 2. Girls preferred Scheme over C++ by a ratio of 4:1.

-- Matthias