Re: Distribution of MrEd-based apps

At 12:50 PM -0500 12/23/00, Paul Schlie wrote:
>  > Robert Bruce Findler wrote:
>>  ... Hopefully the situation will improve with
>>  the release of 104, sometime in the summer...
>
>Any remote chance that a final present generation release could be
>published in the near term to reflect updates made over the past few
>months, followed later with a 2.00 release reflecting evolving the
>module & macro update work presently in process?

Version 103 is the best we will be able to do for a "final present
generation release". Version 104 will have a different syntax system,
but it will not affect our educational users -- everything mentioned
in How to Design Programs, for example, remains unchanged. More
complex programs will almost certainly have to change, but exactly
how isn't clear yet. When the new syntax has been laid out a bit
more, we will know more about transitions from 103 to 104. We should
produce a document for you to read some time in the new year.

>(some near term MacOS tweaks would be nice too, if at all possible.)

There really hasn't been much in the way of MacOS improvement
recently, unfortunately. As always, we don't have arbitrary man
power, so we have to pick and choose. Sadly, MacOS interface tweaks
have fallen by the wayside. Perhaps that will change in the next few
years, but it probably won't in the short term. Sorry....

Hope that helps clarify a little! (I know it isn't exactly what you
were hoping to hear...) Things will be more clear in the upcoming
months.

Robby