MzScheme Strings

In MzScheme, are all strings returned inside quotes?

E.g.:

Using a snippet of code such as:

    (string-append "foo" "bar")

Which might appear in C as:

    char* str = "(string-append \"foo\" \"bar\")";

Which in turn might be evaluated within an embedded interpreter
as:

    Scheme_Object* val = scheme_eval_string(str, env);

    int len = 0;
    char* output = scheme_write_to_string(val, &len);

I find that this gets returned as:

output = "foobar"

Rather than the plain "quote-less" version I would
expect.

Should I anticipate needing to strip quotes from
any string returned by scheme_write_to_string?
Or is this just an artifact of the string-handling
functions in MzScheme's libraries?

Thanks,

-Brent