RE: Scheme acceptance [no flames]

--- Brent Fulgham <brent.fulgham@xpsystems.com> wrote:
> This sounds like a great idea.  There are three
> crowning achievements
> that form the foundation for Perl's popularity:
>
> 1.  Excellent string handling (fast, efficient,
> easy-to-use)

Has anyone considered porting Olin's SRE regular
expression syntax to Scheme (see
http://www.ai.mit.edu/~shivers/sre.txt)?  IMO it is a
far more understandable notation than Perl's line
noise, and because it uses s-exps that are transformed
to POSIX regexp strings, you can include expressions,
comments and all the other things that Perl only had
crufty hacks for last time I looked at it.

> 2.  An excellent module exchange system (The CPAN
> Archive)
> 3.  "The Perl Cookbook".

Agreed about the above two.  Now if one considers
Java, a much more successful language than Perl, it
also has:

4.  Hype, also known as marketing, or corporate focus,
leading to training and accreditation programmes and
all that sort of corporate stuff.

Now clearly PLT Scheme can't command the sort of money
to make this happen, but is does show the importance
of advocacy, and, if one wants to grow further, a
corporate focus.

Now a digression:
How is the PLT Scheme/AOL Server intergration going?
I may have an opportunity to use it in the near
future.

cya,
Noel